Interested in working on cutting-edge blockchain technology and creating equitable access to the global financial system? Since 2014, the mission-driven team at the Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) has helped fuel the tremendous growth of the Stellar blockchain network, an open-source platform that operates at scale today. Developers and companies around the world build on it, and the SDF team is expanding to support the rapidly growing and changing Stellar ecosystem.
SDF is seeking an experienced regulatory attorney to provide legal, regulatory, and compliance advice across the organization, particularly with respect to securities and commodities law issues. This role will support the product, business, policy, and finance teams alongside legal team colleagues as SDF explores new frontiers in the blockchain and crypto industry, including smart contracts, web3 initiatives, and the launch of other strategic projects, products, and services on the Stellar blockchain.
As a member of the Legal and Policy team, you will report directly to the Chief Legal Officer and will have the opportunity to work alongside a team of talented attorneys and policy professionals in a fast paced-industry, advising on some of the most exciting and innovative legal and policy issues in blockchain technology, digital assets, and global payments - all in a supportive and friendly company culture.
In this role, you will:
- Provide regulatory input and advice on potential securities, commodities, and compliance risks related to legal product reviews.
- Specifically, provide regulatory advice on Stellar protocol changes and products and services developed by potential investment or grant recipients such as AMM’s, bridges, smart contracts, yield, and lending.
- Advise on new and innovative methods for SDF to support the growth and development of the Stellar ecosystem through grants and investments in accordance with the SDF Mandate (https://stellar.org/foundation/mandate).
- Support the commercial legal team on regulatory issues relating to listing agreements for third-party tokens issued on Stellar and potential token investments in third party projects.
- Collaborate with the CLO on maintaining effective internal policies, governance, and compliance programs that meet (or exceed) regulatory obligations, such as the Insider Trading Policy.
- Support and collaborate with the policy team, trade associations, and outside advisors on analyzing, assessing, and commenting on emerging policy and regulatory developments, including proposed legislation, notices of proposed rulemaking, and other requests for comment.
- Collaborate with the policy team to advise SDF’s leadership team on strategy for proactive engagement and thought leadership on priority legal and policy topics for the Stellar ecosystem.
- Track pending litigation and enforcement trends in the crypto and blockchain space to make sure legal is adjusting our guidance appropriately and to set our strategic approach to engaging in impactful cases (e.g. reviewing, commenting on, and/or initiating amicus briefs).
- At least 10+ years of relevant law firm and/or in-house experience in a regulatory or compliance law role, preferably focusing on blockchain, payments, financial technology, securities and commodities, or financial services.
- Experience advising internal teams on dynamic and innovative new products and services and policy developments.
- Familiarity with blockchain technology, digital payments, and financial services.
- Excellent problem-solving, judgment, communication (written and oral), and interpersonal skills.
- Autonomy and ability to identify and assess risk and provide tailored recommendations for risk mitigation.
- Ability to present complex legal issues in a clear and concise manner and to provide succinct, results-oriented legal advice.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, and manage diverse stakeholders and time-sensitive projects.
- Ability to thrive and innovate in a fast-paced, dynamic industry.
- Sound business judgment, intellectual creativity, and a willingness to navigate a rapidly evolving legal and regulatory environment.
- A team player with a “go-getter” attitude, ready to jump into projects (large and small) to help SDF succeed.
- Interest in the mission of SDF.
- A J.D. and active membership in at least one U.S. state bar. Must be a US-based attorney.
- A sense of humor!
Nice to have:
- Some international experience (at least managing counsel in non-US jurisdictions)
- Competitive health, dental & vision coverage
- Flexible time off + 15 company holidays including a company-wide holiday break
- Paid parental leave
- Life & ADD
- Short & Long term disability
- FSA & Dependent Care Accounts
- 401K (4% match)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly gym allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks in-office
- L&D budget of $1,500/year
- Company retreats
Stellar is a decentralized, fast, scalable, and uniquely sustainable network for financial products and services. It is both a cross-currency transaction system and a platform for digital asset issuance, designed to connect the world’s financial infrastructure. Dozens of financial institutions worldwide issue assets and settle payments on the Stellar network, which has grown to over 4 million accounts.
About the Stellar Development Foundation
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit organization that supports the development and growth of Stellar, an open-source network that connects the world’s financial infrastructure. Founded in 2014, the Foundation helps maintain Stellar’s codebase, supports the technical and business communities building on the network, and serves as a voice to regulators and institutions. The Foundation seeks to create equitable access to the global financial system, using the Stellar network to unlock the world’s economic potential through blockchain technology.
We look forward to hearing from you!
SDF is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SDF does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.