We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow) and Bessemer Venture Partners in the USA.
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 100+ talented people from 30 different countries.
In 2023 we aim to grow our data stream processing foundation from an event-driven system of microservices to an integrated data platform. Therefore, we are looking for Senior Backend/Data Engineers, who are passionate about data stream processing, and who have a proven track record of delivering outstanding results using the latest Kafka-based technologies.
If you are ready to take your career to the next level, join our team and help us drive innovation in the field of financial data stream processing.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop high-performance data stream processing applications using cutting-edge technologies such as Kafka Streams, ksqlDB, and BigQuery
- Continuously evaluate and integrate new technologies to improve our stream processing capabilities and application development efficiency
- Drive the advancement and simplification of our event-driven systems and overall architecture, with a focus on reliability, security, and maintainability
- Lead the improvement of schema management processes and automation, integrating with technologies such as Kafka Schema Registry
- Take ownership of the libraries and applications you build, and work closely with your and other teams to deliver outstanding results
- Strong experience in developing event-driven applications (preferably in Go)
- Great Go development skills or aiming to learn Go paired with self-driven quick-learning powers
- Rock solid understanding of data stream processing concepts, such as windowing, online aggregation, joining streams and tables, and more
- Proficient in the big data and data stream processing tech landscape, including technologies such as Kafka, BigQuery, and more
- Proven ability to set up metrics, logging, and alerting for your applications using tools such as Prometheus metrics, Datadog or Grafana, and related request and event tracing technologies
- A passion for hands-on coding with other developers and a proven track record of delivering high-quality results in a fast-paced environment
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, a development budget, and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we hire decent people, who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer, as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live in a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way), and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! The team over Egos.
Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.