We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow) and Bessemer Venture Partners in the USA.
We’re based in Berlin and have a hybrid setup. If you want to move to Berlin, we’re happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities, our goal is to empower anyone to invest. Today, we count 100+ talented people from 30 different countries.
We are seeking a full-time full-stack engineer to help us build a securities API for financial institutions, the first such API in Europe. Your goal is to take ownership of designing, developing, and maintaining internal tooling we use to enable our investment banking operations, focusing primarily on the front end. This includes building admin web dashboards, back-office, and developer tooling.
The Tooling Apps team designs and builds all the internal tools for our Operations and Customer Support colleagues to be able to operate all the bank processes. These processes are a core part of Upvest’s value proposition and crucial to get right to enable modern, compliant, and mostly automated banking operations.
The team plans, designs, and implements all tools together with stakeholders from other departments. We use the most appropriate tool for each job: From web applications, internal libraries, SDKs, and chatbots, all the way to new ideas we haven't even considered yet. The team owns the vision for helping us automate as many of these processes as we can.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
Own our internal tooling as part of the product engineering team
- Make an impact as we are ramping up the product
- Design and build easy-to-use, low-friction tooling to enable efficient day-to-day operations.
- Interact with stakeholders (Operations, Customer Support, and other Product Engineering teams) to learn more about the product and ensure delivery quality
- Explore ways to help other Product Engineering teams automate aspects of day-to-day development activities. This could include building web applications, SlackOps, etc.
- Deliver fast and often. We embrace an agile methodology with a retrospective and demo at the end of the two-week cycle.
- Ability to bridge the why with the engineering side, discuss tradeoffs and proactively suggest ideas, aka a strong product engineering mindset
- Experience with modern web frameworks (React) at scale, organizing large repos, handling multiple domains, implementing unified design systems, managing access control
- Proficiency with TypeScript and Node.js ecosystems
- Hands-on experience with building and publishing SDKs for internal and external developers, versioned NPM packages
- Fundamental knowledge of API design
- Strong work ethic and principles such as pragmatism - pick the right tool for the job (not based on hype)
- Focus on code quality, extensibility, regression, and E2E testing (such as Cypress, Puppeteer, Datadog Synthetics, or others)
- Practical experience with Docker and CI/CD
- Experience with Go or willingness to learn
- Prior experience with SQL databases such as PostgreSQL
- Security-focused mindset
- Eagerness to learn and explore new technologies
- High sense of taking ownership
- Excitement to work in a fast-paced and dynamic startup environment
It’s nice if you have:
- Experience with micro-frontends
- Experience with Monitoring and Tracing using Datadog
- Experience working in the Fintech domain
- We're working on solving a hard problem: fixing the European securities financial infrastructure that empowers more people to be able to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, a development budget, and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we hire decent people, who are passionate about their craft and helping us achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer, as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way) and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.