CoinFlip is a leading fintech company powered by cryptocurrency. Believing everyone deserves to participate in the new digital economy, the company operates one of the world’s largest networks of cryptocurrency ATMs — with over 4,000 active kiosks — as well as an over-the-counter trading desk. In 2022, CoinFlip became an international company by expanding into Canada
, and launched CoinFlip Ventures
, a new initiative designed to support start-up companies.
CoinFlip placed No. 60 on the 2021 Inc. 5000 list of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies. CoinFlip was also named the 2021 and 2022 #1 fastest-growing company in Chicago by Crain’s Business.
As our growth trajectory continues, we’re looking to quickly expand all of our teams. It’s an exciting time to join CoinFlip as we’re pursuing additional business lines and continued international expansion to further cement us as a leading financial technology company.
The Assistant General Counsel for Australia will be located in Olliv’s Melbourne, Australia office and will report to Olliv’s General Counsel in Chicago, IL and a member of management in Melbourne. The Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for advising the business team in Australia on the day-to-day legal issues that arise at a crypto-powered financial institution. These duties will include managing outside counsel, reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a wide variety of agreements, dispute resolution (including with customers of Olliv and store locations which host Olliv crypto-ATMs), advising on compliance related issues, data protection, consumer protection, conducting legal research, reviewing and responding to subpoenas, HR/employment issues and other issues as they arise. Familiarity with the legal system and laws of New Zealand is helpful, as the Australian office may later support operations in New Zealand. This candidate will leverage good judgment and a strong business sense in advising stakeholders on legal and business risks and mitigations.
- Provide legal support and advice across the organization on all legal, compliance and regulatory matters involving the company, with a primary focus on the Australian and eventually the New Zealand markets
- Supervise and manage the relationships with Australian counsel
- Draft and negotiate a range of agreements in support of business initiatives and employment matters, including non-disclosure agreements, independent contractor agreements, license agreements with store owners, vendor agreements and general commercial contracts
- Advise the Compliance Team regarding the company’s AML program and KYC requirements
- Review, manage, and respond to law enforcement subpoenas or related requests for information
- Assist the sales team when negotiating with store owners for the placement of Olliv cryptocurrency ATMs in stores
- Resolve disputes with store owners who have Olliv ATMs in their store, including enforcement of non-compete provisions
- Perform legal research and draft memoranda to assist the legal team and business partners on various matters, including marketing issues, employment/HR matters, licensing, and regulatory compliance
- Advise on employment/HR related matters and supervise internal investigations when necessary
- Advise on data privacy and data security matters and support the implementation of related policies and procedures
- Provide support on general corporate matters
- Work with business and compliance partners to develop, implement, and improve policies and procedures as the company rapidly grows
- Coordinate with U.S. based counsel
- 3 or more years of experience at a recognized law firm and/or in-house (preferably in fintech)
- Law Degree (minimum LLB / Juris Doctorate) required
- A current Victorian practising certificate
- High law school GPA
- Strong attention to detail
- General understanding of and interest in cryptocurrency
- Experience and knowledge of regulations for cryptocurrency and fintech companies
- Experience working within the larger APAC region
- Experience in contract review and negotiation required
- Knowledge and experience with general corporate matters
- Experience in the responsibility areas listed above.
Working at CoinFlip means collaborating with experienced and innovative leaders who share a clear vision and a track record of success. We offer a collaborative and positive working environment where we encourage employees to balance productivity with time to recharge. Compensation is above and beyond a typical “startup” — we offer competitive salaries, performance-based incentives, and competitive benefits for full-time employees.
CoinFlip values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an inclusive and accessible work environment. We thank all candidates who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
By applying to this role, you give express consent to CoinFlip to send you informational text (SMS) messages regarding this role and the application process. You can cancel the SMS service at any time by replying "STOP" to the text message you received. If at any time you forget what keywords are supported, just reply "HELP." Message and data rates apply. If you require a special accommodation, please let us know and we’ll work with you to meet your needs.