At Elliptic, we believe cryptocurrency will play a huge role in the future of value transfer, and we care deeply about helping to build this future. As digital assets and cryptocurrency become more widely adopted, our products are essential to ensure cryptocurrency is safe and accessible to all.
Elliptic’s blockchain analytics solutions help prevent financial crime and allow cryptocurrencies to be used for good. The company is the global leader in detecting, preventing, and pursuing criminal activity in cryptocurrencies. Our products are used by some of the world’s most highly regulated banks and financial institutions, leading cryptocurrency exchanges, and government agencies to screen over $1 billion of transactions every single week.
The company has offices in London (Global HQ), New York City, and Singapore.. We are backed by leading institutions including Evolution Equity Partners, SoftBank, SBI Group, Albion VC, Octopus Ventures, SignalFire, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Paladin Capital, Santander InnoVentures, and Digital Currency Group.
To achieve our mission, we depend on our incredible team of Elliptites. Our values are reflected in everything we do and in every decision we make, both internally and outwardly to our customers. We actively encourage Elliptities to challenge the status quo and allow the freedom to innovate and learn everyday. We encourage new ideas and learning, whether that’s through collaboration, our curiosity sessions, or utilising your professional development budget - the team’s personal growth is key to our success.
About the Role
We are looking for a Commercial Legal Counsel - to join our Head of Legal.. This will need to be someone who is UK-based and has the SaaS contracting experience to hit the ground running. You will be responsible for contracting at Elliptic, particularly across the United Kingdom, Americas, Singapore and Japan and will be a true business partner to the Sales and Partnerships teams in those jurisdictions, taking the lead negotiating contracts with our customers and partners.
Your cultural behaviours are as important to us as your experience as you will be working in a small but busy and growing team, within a rapidly scaling business and it is important that you have that same growth mentality. This means you will care about your colleagues and our business, have a willingness to roll up your sleeves, clear any blockers and work collaboratively to enable our growth. Like most scale-up Legal teams, it will be busy and rewarding!
Finally, we want you to grow with us, so we are looking for someone that can do what we need now but also has the potential to be more and do more.
What you will do:
- Negotiate commercial transactions, particularly SaaS customer standard and non-standard terms (c.90% of the workload), supplier and partnership agreements
- Business-partner with our global (United Kingdom, Americas, Singapore and Japan) Sales and Partnerships teams), serving as counsel throughout the entire life cycle process from RFI to execution and taking accountability for those relationships
- Work seamlessly with our Senior Leadership, Sales and Revenue Operations teams
- Have the confidence and experience to negotiate with large enterprises and financial institutions, strategic distribution and delivery partners
- Advise colleagues of the key contracting issues, in a way that is appropriate for where our business is in its growth journey. ‘Risk-appropriate, not risk-averse!’
- Own and manage our standard contracting document stacks
- Provide ad hoc support to the Head of Legal on non-commercial legal matters
You will be a great fit here if you:
- Have an eye for detail
- Are very well organised
- Would enjoy a significant amount of autonomy, but still with support when required
- Love researching and applying better practices to drive process improvement
- Love collaborating with others to solve problems
- Enjoy flexibility, both ways. The Head of Legal is flexible in terms of working hours and is more focussed on output. Equally, there will be times when you need to join calls outside of the 9-5 given our global exposure.
Our ideal candidate:
- Demonstrable experience in negotiating SaaS contracts, SoW’s and DPA’s.
- Understanding of I.P. and Data Protection
- Ability to successfully handle multiple negotiations and contract review pipeline, effectively prioritising issue escalation and resolution often under heavy time pressure
- We anticipate this role suiting someone of 2-5 years’ qualification (but this does not preclude those with similar levels of experience but different PQE from applying)
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- UK-based and attending the London office at least 1 day per week
Bonus points for:
- In-house experience
- Financial Services experience
- Familiarity with contract-management tools and playbooks
- An interest in crypto-currency
> How we work:
- Hybrid working and the option to work from almost anywhere for up to 30 days per year
- £500 remote working budget to set up your home office space
> Learning & Development:
- $1,000 Learning & Development budget to use on anything (agreed with your manager) that contributes to your growth and development
- LinkedIn Learning subscription.
> Vacation/ Leave:
- Holidays: 25 days of annual leave + bank holidays
- An extra day for your birthday
- Enhanced parental leave: we provide eligible employees, regardless of gender or whether they become a parent by birth or adoption, 16 weeks fully-paid leave and leave.
- Private Health Insurance - we use Vitality!
- Full access to Spill Mental Health Support
- Life Assurance: we hope you will never need this - but our cover is for 4 times your salary to your beneficiaries
- £100 Crypto for you!
- Cycle to Work Scheme
We know Diversity and Inclusion is much deeper than just hiring, but it’s important for us to mention it here. We welcome and embrace individuals of all backgrounds and identities at Elliptic, and this is an ongoing priority for us. We know incredible people don’t all think in the same way. We want to be challenged every day. We believe our diverse team of individuals underpins this by bringing creative thinking and innovation to Elliptic every day. We are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace, so we welcome applications from everyone, even if you may not think you fit all of the requirements of our roles. We foster an environment of psychological safety, where everyone feels comfortable to bring their whole self to work.