Monad Labs is creating the foundation for a new world of powerful decentralized applications. We’ve developed the first parallel EVM executor, and have paired it with significant innovations on consensus, pipelining, and storage to build the Monad blockchain, an ultra-performant EVM-equivalent blockchain supporting 10,000 TPS while remaining highly decentralized.
Founded by Jump Trading alums, our team solves challenging problems in distributed systems engineering and low-latency optimization, authoring software innovations that enable a new, high-performance decentralized system that is backward-compatible with existing EVM apps and Ethereum infrastructure. We are backed by notable leaders in the crypto space, including Dragonfly, Placeholder, and others.
Our mission is to enable a new universe of decentralized apps—use cases and user flows that are currently impossible—by drastically reducing EVM computation costs. Ultimately, our work will unleash the power of decentralization to make the world more efficient and fair.
We are looking for software engineer new graduates with strong experience in low-level C/C++ programming
This is an opportunity to work on challenging low-level system design problems, as well as working inside a fast-growing tech startup. Experience with crypto is not expected.
You will work closely with the rest of our team to design, build, and test innovations on different parts of the distributed system, such as mechanisms for transaction sequencing, propagation, and execution; signature verification; node recovery; historical state lookup, etc.
You’ll be part of a lean, focused team shipping a massively impactful system. You’ll design new features and identify optimizations that advance the system’s limits. We think that you'll find the work very challenging and rewarding. Experience with crypto is not expected.
Note: We use email for communications, please check your Spam filter for @monad.xyz or @greenhouse-mail.io domains.
Who you are
You're graduating before June 2023 with a BS, masters, or doctorate (or equivalent) in computer science or a related field.
- You're fluent in C++ with excellent knowledge of lower-level details like memory management and multithreading
- You’ve taken an operating systems class
- You're resourceful and able to work fairly independently
- You value communication and collaboration
- You’re excited about working in a startup, where you’ll wear many hats and be given significant responsibilities
- You’re able to work in person in NYC, i.e. you have US work authorization or can obtain it via F-1 or TN visa.
- You’re experienced with kernel development
- You’ve contributed to open source projects
- You've written smart contracts in Solidity or Vyper
- You're interested in crypto
What you’ll be doing
- Designing experimental improvements to various areas of the system, such as virtual machine behavior, transaction propagation, cryptographic signature verification, node recovery, etc.
- Building and testing these improvements
- Learning about how existing smart contract platforms work and how they are used.
- You'll use our tech stack: C++, go, clang, LLVM, gdb, perf, unix, git
Why work with us
Working at Monad Labs means doing challenging work on a high-impact problem with exceptional teammates.
Here are some of the people you’ll work with:
- James, performance engineering expert and system architect; previously designed and built ultra-low-latency systems for a top high-frequency trading team at Jump Trading;
- Ariq, expert at low-level firmware and software programming; previously a senior engineer at Arista Networks, where he served as lead maintainer on multiple linux kernel networking drivers for Arista EOS devices;
- Aashish, expert systems designer and hacker, previously the first engineer at Pattern Research, a leading crypto HFT firm, where he designed and built the entire trading stack from scratch
Why work with us?
- You’ll quickly develop your skills as a professional software engineer through meaningful and challenging responsibilities, combined with excellent mentorship from our team
- You’ll work on extremely challenging problems with massive potential impact
- You’ll work with and learn from a small, exceptional team
- You’ll receive a competitive compensation package with a competitive base salary and equity
- You’ll shape the culture as an early employee and make impactful contributions from day one
- You’ll be part of a flat, results-driven organization
- Your work will be deeply impactful, enabling much cheaper and more efficient decentralized computation and ultimately paving the way for new dapps that improve many people’s lives.
Salary and benefits
Minimum full-time salary of $150,000 - $200,000. (**This is not a guarantee of compensation or salary; a final offer amount may vary based on factors including but not limited to experience and geographic location.)
Monad Labs’ benefits include unlimited and encouraged paid time off; 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage; home office equipment stipend; monthly wellness/fitness stipend; and 11 company-observed holidays.
This is an NYC-based role. The majority of our team is in NYC and works together a few days a week.
We are able to sponsor F-1/H-1B/TN visas; please let us know if you’ll require this.