We are looking for a Protocol Researcher to join our growing and world class research team. Building a truly secure, scalable, and decentralized zero-knowledge rollup requires considerable research work, including solving many open problems around protocol mechanism and design.
Your day-to-day work as a researcher at Scroll will involve conducting research on Ethereum and layer 2 design. This research will need to cover a very large scope including rollup economics, state growth, EVM, MEV, PBS, AA, Layer 3, etc. We are looking for somebody with a deep understanding of protocol research as well as basic coding ability, who can directly contribute to research whilst leading and building a team of other world class researchers.
Scroll is building an open source, bytecode level compatible zkEVM layer 2 solution for Ethereum. Our mission is to scale Ethereum while maintaining our values of credible neutrality, openness, and execution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Survey existing layer 2 and Ethereum protocols through code and papers.
- Propose new designs and optimizations for our layer 2 protocol.
- Propose new designs and optimizations for Ethereum (i.e. propose layer 2 related EIPs).
- Explore new research directions (i.e. EVM, MEV, PBS, AA, Layer 3, etc).
- Output high quality content (i.e. talk, blog post, research post).
- Represent and promote Scroll at conferences and events.
- Keep the engineering team up to date with the latest ideas in protocol research.
- Establish collaborations with universities and external researchers to solve open problems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Relevant PhD OR at least 1 year of experience in a crypto research role
- High level of knowledge and understanding with Layer 2s and Ethereum infrastructure.
- Ability to read and write academic papers, understand and propose EIPs.
- Ability to present and explain cutting-edge crypto research to engineers clearly.
- Experience in blockchain infrastructure development or cryptography preferred.
- Fluency in Golang, Rust, C++, or similar languages. We work primarily in Golang and Rust, but prior experience is not mandatory.
- You are directly aligned with our values of building with community, openness, credible neutrality.
- You have strong interest in decentralized system and open source collaboration.
- Your are a resourceful self starter that understands how to research new topics.
- You are mission-led and eager to be at leading point of zkEVM research.
- You are a collaborative person who can work well within a globally distributed team.
What We Offer
- Work from anywhere with flexible hours
- Generous paid time off
- Home office set up
- Annual growth budget
- Coworking membership allowance
- Private healthcare in selected countries
- Competitive salary package
Scroll is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need, please let us know and we'll do our best to accommodate.