Gala is creating entertainment that empowers on the blockchain. Across our family of brands, including Games, Music, Film, and VOX, we're empowering creators and fans to build the future of entertainment.
Powered by talent from around the globe, we believe in making bold moves to create products that have never been seen in the marketplace. Gala was founded by Eric Schiermeyer (gaming legend and co-founder of Zynga) and Michael McCarthy (the Creative Director behind viral gaming hits such as Farmville 2). Since then, Gala has grown to be a leader in Web3 entertainment.
Under the Gala brand, we have a growing roster of reputable partners across Gaming and Entertainment, including DreamWorks, AMC, and NBCU. Plus, legendary game developers Peter Molyneux and Will Wright and music greats like Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Kings of Leon, and BT.
Our values are based on openness and ownership and the ability to deliver games, experiences, and opportunities to people worldwide. We are breaking down barriers to bring our communities joy, entertainment, and real-world value.
At Gala, we work with flexibility; we have a great time with our colleagues and love getting things done. While working here, you'll imagine and create new and exciting things for the world to enjoy. Your talents and efforts will improve our audiences' lives in the real world.
And this is just the beginning…
We are currently looking for a Lead Engineer for our Poker and potentially more Casino games. The ideal candidate is an engineering leader with extensive experience in creating real-time game infrastructures and maintaining them for high usage. This role involves a combination of creating and leading all fronts of engineering - frontend, backend, and DevOps, while also being able to mentor and work with engineers outside of the team and the company. Game development knowledge, mobile game development, a creative hands-on attitude, and an entrepreneurial spirit will create success in this role. This is a heroic opportunity to change the blockchain gaming space while leading our game developers with your hands-on skills and energy.
You will be a part of a company of super-achievers who work together to bring forth the evolution of entertainment. The ideal candidate has prior game dev experience, excellent people skills, business acumen, and an exemplary work ethic. We want someone with experience and passion for web3, cryptocurrency, and NFTs. We would love someone with a deep passion for innovation and a track record of working in a fast-paced, evolving, creative-minded environment.
- Architect, design and implement performant backend services and frontend features for Poker and other casino games along with PMs and UI/UX designers.
- Optimize and refactor existing features to improve usability, scalability and to lower cost.
- Advocate for new technologies and engineering best practices across the team and collaborate with platform teams across the company.
- Perform technical review of other engineers’ work and provide feedback/advice.
- Create documentation and tech plans for new architecture/system designs.
- Establish engineering processes and KPI metrics to ensure game/product quality.
- Coach and manage other engineers.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science (preferred) or a circuit branch of engineering.
- 8+ years of professional experience in software development. Preferably 3+ with games.
- Experience working on mobile development game.
- Deep knowledge of systems that provide highly responsive user experience across 10s of millions of users.
- Deep understanding of algorithms, design patterns, debugging, and performance optimization.
- Strong familiarity and experience using AWS and/or other cloud computing platforms (IaaS, PaaS, Saas)
- Strong experience with container-driven orchestration platforms.
- Experience with typescript and node js-based sync and RESTful service frameworks.
- Experience with database systems (SQL and NoSQL).
- This position will be working cohesively with developers based in India, requiring you to have work hours flexibility to effectively communicate and collaborate.
- Familiarity with mobile and PC game integrations like analytics, marketing, socials, and deep-linking.
- Understanding of blockchain concepts and basics of tokenomics and NFTs.
- Knowledge of a coachable methodology for granular breakdown of engineering tasks along with a tried and true methodology for accurate estimates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity.
- Self-motivated, stellar work ethic, fun collaborator
- Excited by problem-solving
Nice-to-Have Skills and Qualifications
- Experience working in Unity.
- Experience of scaling a team from 0 to 20+ engineers.
- Experience working on live multiplayer games (social casino games is a plus).
- Experience creating your own startup (ideally a gaming startup)
- Strong work planning / sprint preparation, and time management skills.
- Self-motivated, stellar work ethic, fun collaborator.
Gala is an equal-opportunity employer and adopts a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all current and prospective employees regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse workforce because, in our view, diversity enables better business outcomes. We also believe that a more inclusive workplace, where people of different backgrounds work together, ensures better outcomes for all staff. From application to interview, we place inclusion at the heart of all we do.
- Competitive Salary
- Flexible Working Hours
- Unlimited PTO
- US Based Employees 100% covered for employees (Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program and several more
If you have the experience, passion, and drive to join our team, then please submit a resume by clicking the apply button below!
Gala does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider unsolicited referrals and/or resumes from vendors including, and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies. Gala will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.